Appliances & Electronics
Electronics and Appliances can be recycled but not in your drop-off or curbside recycling bins.
These items are accepted at our Collection Facilities.
Why recycle electronics (e-waste)?
- Most electronics contain chemicals and other materials that are hazardous to the environment.
- Your trash hauler may not accept electronics at the curb, and in some states it is illegal to throw them in with your regular trash.
- Throwing away items with personal information (cell phones, computers, iPads, etc.) can leave you susceptible to identity theft.
- Recycling creates more jobs than throwing things in the trash. Workers will take the items apart and sort the pieces by material. Then, the materials will need to be shipped and processed. This requires more workers than hauling to a landfill for burial.
- Many of the materials in electronics can be reused, reducing our need to dig for ores and other materials in the ground, disrupting that environment.
Both of our Collection Facilities accepts all kinds of electronics for recycling, including TVs (limit 3/day), desktop computers, laptops, monitors, keyboards and peripherals, printers, modems, tablets, e-readers, satellite TV equipment, networking equipment, cables, cell phones, video game systems, etc.
Some electronics can be recycled through local e-waste companies and at retail locations. Best Buy and Staples allow customers to drop-off some items in store for free
- Cable boxes/Satellite equipment
- CD players
- Cell phones
- Computer equipment
- Cords and cables
- DVD/VHS players
- Fax machines
- Gaming consoles
- Holiday Lights
- Stereo Equipment
Our Collection Facilities in Trumbull and Geauga County can accept Freon-bearing appliances like dehumidifiers, freezers, air conditioners, and refrigerators. In addition, we can accept washing machines, clothes dryers, hot water heaters, microwaves, ovens, stoves, furnaces, and other items made primarily of metal.
Check our schedule for days and hours they are open to the public.
You can also take many of these items to a number of local scrap metal dealers or appliance salvage companies that may be closer to where you live.
- Air conditioners
- Dishwashers with metal interior
- Hot water tanks
- Vacuum Cleaners
- Small Household Appliances
- Other items made mostly of metal